[virgo-dev] Rationale for the Virgo launcher

At the recent Virgo F2F we discussed the possibility of replacing the Virgo launcher with the standard Equinox launcher.

For the record, the original rationale for creating a Virgo launcher was threefold:

1. to install (just) the required framework hooks
2. to allow command line parameters to be passed in
3. to allow flexibility in the naming of certain directories

Some of these may now be addressed by the Equinox launcher since it has probably moved on, but they should be useful considerations. At the very least, we need to ensure that any replacement launcher passes these tests:

T1. The same set of framework hooks is installed as in Virgo 2.1.0.
T2. All the startup script options in Virgo 2.1.0 are supported.
T3. All the directories can be named as in Virgo 2.1.0.

Clearly these tests may be rendered invalid by new features (e.g. restructuring the directory layout may invalidate T3), but for now they should be useful.

Regards,
Glyn

Back to the top