RE: [virgo-dev] Classloading & Inner frameworks supportability commands

Hi,

We thought about contributing the features to Equinox, but we feel that they don't quite fit there because:
	1. we want to expand the value and attractiveness of Virgo as development platform
	2. we want a level of supportability that will meet our expectations and the ones of the Virgo users

We think this can be easily done by just adding these commands without integration. Long-term they may become APIs, and automation can be also included (probably integration with the medic module)

	3. Equinox should be kept minimalistic
	4. The Equinox shell most probably will be RFC-147 compliant

The minimalistic approach of Equinox often leads to the fact that it is mostly used in headless scenarios - no users/developers in front, therefore we do not need commands there. If we need them we can always install a bundle or two to check a problem. In case we have a development environment things change - the common case is that we have a developer that tries different things and needs diagnostics almost constantly.

There are ongoing efforts to split the Equinox shell and framework. Therefore there may not be shell by default and an arbitrary shell may be plugged. Another idea is to have the commands as bundles. For example GoGo offers such implementation with 3 bundles (shell, runtime, commands). GoGo is also the reference RFC147 implementation and this RFC standardizes the split.

In this regard Virgo can be considered as natural extension of Equinox for development so the diagnostics modules fit more than in Equinox. This is especially true for the inner framework commands which are useful in case of a complex scenario ("felix inside equinox" may be "application inside Virgo") and are most of the time useless in the minimalistic Equinox environment.

We agree that the classloading commands may be equally useful in Equinox environment but since the commands will be separated from the shell and not needed most of the time perhaps it makes sense to have them in Virgo.

The javaagent is used to instrument on FrameworkEvent level. If the event is:
	- START then a bytecode modification is made in the constructor to register the framework in the library
	- STOP - the framework is unregistered from the framework to allow GC

The registration creates a reference to the bundle of the (inner) framework, but this reference is cleared on STOP event via the agent so we expect no memory leaks.

The instrumentation is currently always on to allow gathering of all FrameworkEvent-s from the start of the VM. We did not make measurements for the overhead but it should be pretty small since a transformation is made only in case a new FrameworkEvent is created, which seems to be a rare case. The only negative impact seems to be on installation of lots of new bundles. Are there any plans to change the way that Virgo starts - with installation of all bundles? What about P2?

I uploaded my Virgo (kernel) with running agent and the commands in the pickup folder here:
https://sapmats-de.sap-ag.de/download/download.cgi?id=MVAKNGY7TWT8IHVDQ3TJOMGYM99L4TKNNZQK3E8MVOIXMN3PAP

Since I'm running on Windows you may need to change the dmk.sh the same way as dmk.bat. I added the agent in this way: set KERNEL_JAVA_PARMS=%KERNEL_JAVA_PARMS% -javaagent:C:\tmp\virgo-kernel-2.1.0.M01\inner\FDAgent_1.1.jar

Regards,
Hristo Iliev