|[ui-best-practices-working-group] Improving Project UIs for Ganymede|
The EMO would like to suggest the following course of action for the Ganymede release with respect to user interface issues. I believe Bjorn will be adding this to the agenda of the Planning Council meeting at EclipseWorld.
Background and Motivation
· The Eclipse Board of Directors has added “…encourage improved usability and out-of-box experience in the projects…” as a strategic goal for 2008.
· Everyone agrees that we want to improve the UI “fit and finish” for the projects in the release train.
· The current UI Guidelines document in draft is a large document. It is over 80 pages of suggestions, guidelines, etc.
· There is no consensus that this “UI Guidelines” document will be updated in time to be effective for Ganymede.
· What does appear to be possible for Ganymede would be the “...strong application of a small set of rules.”
o The group has already created a draft list of the “top ten dos” and the “top ten don’ts”
· There does appear to be a consensus that the UI WG can help projects if they bring their UI to the WG for review.
To make progress for Ganymede, the following action items will be required by November 30th from the UI BP WG and the Planning Council:
· UI Best Practice Working Group
o The UI BP WG must finalize its “top-XX list of dos” and a “top-YY list of don’ts” (the “UI Checklists”) by November 30th
§ Note that this can change in the future, but we need a frozen list for the Ganymede release cycle.
o The UI BP WG will schedule reviews with all of the Ganymede projects during Q1 and Q2 ’08.
§ This scheduling will be prioritized by the 0, +1, +2 grouping of the projects, i.e., they will review the 0 projects first, then the +1s, then the +2s, etc.
· The Planning Council will need to pass the following rules for inclusion in Ganymede projects.
o Ganymede projects *must* comply with these “UI Checklists”.
o Ganymede projects *should* attempt to follow the draft UI guidelines wherever possible.
o Ganymede projects *must* undergo a UI review with the UI Working Group and demonstrate compliance with the UI Checklists to the satisfaction of the WG.
§ UI WG concurrence with this compliance will be a Ganymede Release Review check item
Eclipse Foundation, Inc.
Office: +1.613.224.9461 x228
Back to the top