Skip to main content

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
Re: [ui-best-practices-working-group] Proposed agenda for September 13 meeting

Neil Hauge, of Oracle,  will be joining the UI call on September 13 as a
tentative WTP representative on the working group.



             "Bob Fraser"                                              
             Sent by:                                                   To
             ui-best-practices         "User Interface Architecture    
             -working-group-bo         Working Group"                  
             unces@xxxxxxxxxxx         <ui-best-practices-working-group@ec
             09/12/2006 07:53                                          
             PM                                                    Subject
                                       Proposed agenda for September 13
             Please respond to         meeting                         
              User Interface                                           
               Working Group                                           

I would like to propose the following agenda for the
ui-best-practices-working-group meeting on September 13.
Conference Call: Wednesday, September 13, 9:30 PDT 613.287.8000 or
866.362.7064 passcode 892048#

* Review action items - listed below
* Review the additional detail to the charter related activities ? listed

Any other suggestions are most welcome.

-------------------- Previous action items

* Bjorn to change the name of the group, mailing list and wiki
* Bob to draft a general call to action to join the group
* Bob to update the wiki with the new charter
* Troy to draft the next level of detail for the charter and what we wish
to ask the planning council to drive as requirements.
* Membership invitations ? develop leads and invite:
   * Bob ? Borland, Actuate
   * Boris ? Intel
   * Wassim ? WTP

--------------------- Charter related activities


   PURPOSE: Assess the state of the project with respect to usability;
prioritize corrective measures and work them into the release plan

  TIMING: At the start of a new development cycle, during planning phase

  WHO DOES THIS:  UI lead and interested others from a given project

  APPROACH: Project team gathers usability issues from sources which may
include, but are not limited to, the following: newsgroup questions, UI
walkthroughs, Bugzilla reports, usability tests on the previous release,


- Project team members summarize issues into a list and assign severities
to each item (e.g., 1 - prevents completion of task, 2 - significant delay
in task completion, 3 - minor delay in task completion)
            - File requirements for feature level work, file bug reports
for smaller items
            - Post prioritized list on project wiki with links to related
requirements/bug reports for items that have them (example list format:
itemID, description, severity, requirement/bug report link, assigned


  PURPOSE: Share information about what is under way in the various
projects; early identification and dissemination of good UI solutions,
early identification and dissuasion from not-so-good UI practices

  TIMING: Near the middle of the development cycle

  WHO DOES THIS: UIBP group schedules these meetings with UI leads from the
various project teams; this will likely involve only a subset of the
projects over a given cycle due to time constraints

  APPROACH: A given project team demos the major features being added for
the release. Demos should reflect typical usage scenarios. Presentation
must accommodate a distributed audience (e.g., use WebEx or comparable
technology). Although the meeting will focus on a given project, each
meeting should be publicized to all project UI personnel so others can
optionally attend.

            - UIBP group culls potential examples - whether positive or
negative - for addressing in the UI guidelines. These are kept in a sandbox
type area of the wiki.
           - Any suggestions for UI improvements from the UIBP group are
communicated directly to the project UI lead


  PURPOSE: Identify candidates for final hour usability/UI cleanup.  These
items will tend to be cosmetic since few if any destabilizing changes can
be introduced at this point.

  TIMING: Late in the development cycle - post code complete but fairly
early in the bug fixing phase

  WHO DOES THIS: Minimally, the UI team members from each project; it's
also a good idea to invite one or two additional individuals who aren't as
close to the project - they can offer a novel viewpoint


            - Members of the review group refresh their recollection of the
UI guidelines checklist (each member can cover several sections)
            - The group jointly walks through the product, in the role of a
new user, following the major usage scenarios, and identifying areas for
            - A list of potential fixes is prioritized and the set that
will actually get fixed is decided upon
            - The final fix list is posted on the project wiki

>>Register now for BEA World 2006 --- See<<
Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain
information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated
entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or
legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient,
and have received this message in error, please immediately return this
by email and then delete it.
ui-best-practices-working-group mailing list

Back to the top