Re: [udig-users] Newbie needs guidance

Hi,

Do you want to get features and their areas into database, or do you especially want to learn how to do that with uDig? If the result it most important then you can reach it directly with Spatialite.

- Download spatialite-gui

- Import your shapefile with the button that spatialite-gui has for it. Give name “parcels” for a new table

- Run SQL command

alter table parcels add column area;

- Run another SQL commad

update parcels set area=ST_Area(geometry);

You have done it. You can spend the time you saved for example reading the manuals of uDig or your favourite programming language.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Frank Gasdorf wrote:

Have a look at GeoScript that might help to read from a data Source, access attributes and store results in an other data store. You can choose your favorite programing language like groovy, scala, _javascript_ or python..
HTH
- Frank