[udig-devel] RFC adding an extension point

Motivation

Using the current code ApplicationGIS.openMap allows yout to open a map, but pops up the MapEditor in the Perspective you are in. It is not possible now to tell where to open the View (actually ist an Editor). Though a Custom Perspective is available using the Editor (which is fine and uses the Editor when the ApplicationGIS.openMap was already called, with the loaded Project).

I took some screenshots to show what i tried to explain.

1)    The uDig Perspective

2)    Another perspective with a button to load a uDig Project (GIS test button, middle left)

3)    After clicking the button, the map opens

4)    Switching now tot he uDig Perspective:

So opening the map works fine, but it would be helpful to define where the view for the map is displayed (and it can be added to other perspectives too, when if it is accessable as a view)

Inspiration

My inspiration came from an existing plugin i wrote (using google maps – but this is not comparable to a real GIS application like uDig. But here is a screenshot how it could look like:

Proposal

·         I had contact with Jody about this and he wrote

„Adding an extension point for ApplicationGIS.openMap would give you code to open a view or editor and add it to an custom Perspective“

·

Status

Project Steering committee support:

Committer Support:

Requested by: Ludwig Spitzenstätter – Tiroler Landesmuseen – Europe/Austria

PS: this is my first RFC ever – please be lenient towards me. Thanks!

Back to the top