Re: [udig-devel] Contributing

One question I have about the process is on page 03 – Optional More Memory and Launch Shortcut: Eclipse crashed twice without the optional more memory trick used, in the middle of the “build automatically” step at the bottom of page 09. Crash was an “out of memory” error.

Good feedback; I better make that "non-optional" then.

I am running on a 64-bit Win 7 computer with 4GB RAM/a 3.75GB pagefile, with the 64-bit JRE on page 4, and the 64-bit Eclipse Modeling Tools. For whatever reason, using the optional more memory switch in eclipse.ini solved the problem. Is there some part I’m forgetting that’s 32-bit, or does that switch affect something in 64-bit systems as well?

What happens is Java does not use all of your machines memory (without permission). On the command line you can supply the permission by using -Xmx1024m - for eclipse they are storing their command line parameters in that ellipse.ini file.

When java gets close to the limit of memory you have given it; it engages its garbage collector to try and continue working. Only after trying a number of times will it actually give up with an "out of memory" error.

If you want to watch what is happening; in your Window > Preferences dialog. On the general page; you can place a check next to "heap status". It gives you a nice graph at the bottom of the screen; and has a button if you want to run the garbage collector yourself.

Jody

Back to the top