Re: [udig-devel] [udig-users] udig 1.2 location view

Hi Jody, hello List,

as an alternative service I checked the geonames.org and implemented against
the Location<http://gitorious.org/udig/udig-platform/blobs/master/plugins/net.refractions.udig.location/src/net/refractions/udig/location/Location.java>-Interface
you created. geonames.org provided a java API to access their services and
it works quite well (http://www.geonames.org/source-code/).

But I just hacked the Location View (which is still in the repository (
http://gitorious.org/udig/udig-platform/trees/master/plugins/net.refractions.udig.location))
and I feel not very comfortable with it so here are my questions to push
this forward:
- What do you think about using osgi services to register additional
gazetteers for the location view (I would prefer this way) or is there
already an extension point defined to register Location-Services?
- geonames.org lib is released under Apache 2.0 license (
http://www.apache.org/licenses/) ist this one compatible with udig LGPL? Can
we add this lib?

Thanks a lot,
Frank

2010/8/15 Jody Garnett <jody.garnett@xxxxxxxxx>

> Incidentally we did find the location view; the service we were using
> changes its api - rather than debug we have shut the feature off for a bit.
>
> The webpage has instructions for raising an issue on this page:
> - http://udig.refractions.net/users/
>
> Although we have talked about it on the email list here nobody has raised
> the issue yet :-)
> Jody
>
> On 13/08/2010, at 4:16 AM, Frazer Jones wrote:
>
> Hi Jody,
> I had been following the development of 1.2 on both the Windows and Linux
> platforms and I couldn't figure out how raise this issue. Finally when I did
> not see it in the final release I decided to join this list. Is there any
> other way I could have raised it?
> Probably a web page where users could indicate what features they
> used/important may help.
> The support for MrSid format and the autoreprojection of raster images are
> features in 1.2 that are fantastic.
> Frazer
>

> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> Here is the online help:
>> - http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Location+View
>>
>> I do not see the Location view in the 1.2.x series, I am sure it can
>> be restored however. It is very hard for us to tell what features are
>> used/important when setting priorities. Thanks for highlighting this
>> as an important feature.
>>
>> Incidentally Andrea I was thinking of merging the Location view with
>> the search view; so there would be one screen to go to in order to
>> search for things.
>>
>> Jody
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Frazer Jones <jonesfrazer@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > The location view allow you to enter an address (street address and zip,
>> or
>> > street address,city,state) and display that area on the map. It is fast
>> and
>> > saves me lots of time. I can't do without it.

I have not seen any documentation myself; there should be a wiki page =
here:
-  http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Module+Matrix

Or here:
 -http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTDOC/Oracle

Nether reference a requirement for sequence that I can see; it is =
however a wiki so documentation is everyones responsibility; feel free =
to login and a couple sentences - it would be a great help.

Justin are we missing something? I did not know about the =
tablename_fieldname_s convention?

Jody

On 23/09/2010, at 11:04 PM, Lukasz Stawicki wrote:

> Hi all
>=20
> the problem was in incorrect access to getting primary keys.
>=20
> In OracleDialect class there is predefined sequence name =
'tablename_fieldname_S' - and I had different setting in my database, =
FeatureStore was ignoring the sequence and getting max(id) from =
database. And it get locked.
>=20
> I've fixed sequence name and now it is OK - but would be nice (for =
future users) if such a requirement for sequence name be published =
somehow. Or maybe I've missed a documentation?
>=20
> regards
>=20
> Lukasz
>=20
>=20
> Cytowanie Jody Garnett <jody.garnett@xxxxxxxxx>:
>=20
>> Well first up - you may have found a bug (which we would need to =
report to GeoTools). The version of oracle datastore we are using here =
has only been added to uDig recently (although it has been in GeoServer =
for a long time).
>>=20
>> It sounds like you have the correct setup; one thing I want to check =
though before we report a bug.
>>=20
>> The Map holds on to a transaction, and tries to make sure that all =
user interaction on the map happens using the same transaction; and all =
changes happen using the same transaction.
>>=20
>> This is done so that the "commit" and "revert" buttons in the toolbar =
apply to both edits made with the tools; and any edits made by larger =
java operations.
>>=20
>> So if you can just confirm for me that you are using FeatureStore =
directly; and not as part of a uDig map; I can ask you to go ahead and =
report a bug here: https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT/component/10483
>>=20
>> Jody
>>=20
>> On 21/09/2010, at 11:29 PM, Lukasz Stawicki wrote:
>>=20
>>> I have multithreaded application and got in triuble with uDig 1.2 / =
Oracle
>>>=20
>>> Two threads start to insert data to same Oracle table. I get =
FeatureStore, for each thread I set new transaction. I debugged it under =
Eclipse - i get two distinct objects for FeatureStore, two distinct =
transactions, and one (same) instance of org.geotools.jdbc.JDBCDataStore =
class.
>>>=20
>>> It gets locked on insert method
>>>=20
>>> protected void insert(Collection features, SimpleFeatureType =
featureType, Connection cx) / starting at line 1218
>>>=20
>>> First thread waits on 1223 :  synchronized (this) {
>>> - this is perfectly OK for me.
>>>=20
>>> The second hungs in 1249 : ps.execute();
>>> - is performing some internal socket read.
>>>=20
>>> I tried this multiple times and always got the same problem. I =
checked in Oracle : select * from V$TRANSACTION gives me 2 transactions =
open.
>>>=20
>>> So why two different transactions gets locked?? Is there any glitch =
in uDig pooling access to database? Or maybe there is one special way to =
start two autonomous transactions?