From: udig-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:udig-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jody Garnett
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 3:09 PM
To: User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS
Subject: Re: [udig-devel] Integration of UDIG with Non RPC based java swing application.

Thinking.

Under the MapEditor we have a rendering stack that uses normal Java Graphics2D library to render on to a raster. There are several opportunities to take part:

- Renderer

- MapGraphics

- some kind of GlassPane :-)

Each of these are a good place you could reuse any of your Swing drawing code.

In terms of reusing existing forms and dialogs; you can open Swing stuff from an SWT application (it just looks funny). And they also have an "SWT Bridge" which is kind of similar to our rendering system in that it gives a swing panel a graphics buffer to draw into - and then routes mouse clicks into the swing code or something.

A couple web searches found:

Best of luck

Jody