[udig-devel] Re: fun on trunk: socket plugin does what? and draw2drenderer update

Jesse Eichar wrote:
Addressing the point we are making developers learn 2 APIs. That is absolutely true... However the counter argument to that is that they may not need to learn commands for a long long time. I still haven't for example and commands have been around as long as I have (4 years now). So having to learn commands is not a forgone conclusion.

Jesse
Oh I see the difference in viewpoint.

From my perspective I have seen two RCP projects strip out everything from our ui plugins in order to fold udig technology into their application "cleanly". I expect a lot of the work we can get for uDig based development will involve this kind of interaction so I would like to arrange some options other than forking and post processing..

With that in mind a couple of thoughts were obvious to me (my thoughts may still be wrong as commands and menus are a difficult area): - no top-level menu contributions (contributing to views and context menus should be fine?)
- contribute commands and handlers
- allow RCP customers to refer to those commands in their own applications and perspectives - the net.refractions.udig.ui plugins would get a bit thicker as it starts to include xml code putting everything together

This is similar to how the progress view is defined in org.eclipse.ui - but the xml to turn it on was not.
Jody

Back to the top