Re: [udig-devel] work space and meaning of new

Hey,

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 13:53 -0800, Agile Aspect wrote:
> Hi - I'm new to Udig and I have a couple of questions for version 1.1-RC12 Beta
> for Linux:
>
>     (1) how do I startup Udig so that it uses a USER specified location
>          for the workspace instead of the default option of $HOME/workspace?

uDig is an eclipse RCP that takes the command-line parameter
   -data /some/dir
for a workspace of your choice.

>          Note, Eclipse displays a popup window which gives the user a CHOICE.

Yes, it does doesn't it? Why would uDig not use that same approach?
  (left as an exercise for the reader)

>     (2) when I fire up Udig for the first time and attempt to create a new
>          project, it generates the following error:
>
>                  Value must be for an existing directory.
>
>          Note, the word "New" implies the directory DOES NOT exist
>          so please get out of my face.

Yes, well perhaps this is merely a bug rather than an attack on your
person.

>     (3) when I attempt to download the SDK, the download name indicates the
>          image is for Windows. Is there a SDK version for Linux?

yes, there are several, which one would you like?

  http://udig.refractions.net/downloads/

Perhaps you might wait a day or two and see if Jesse works his magic to
give you the latest and greatest which should be RC13. Perhaps you won't
like that number though or won't like the wait. Free software leaves you
free to do your thing.

>     (4) does anyone know if there are any plugins related to Sonar imaging?

For data access, we generally would be working against a file format not
a research field. For user interface stuff, I doubt anyone has worked
specifically with sonar related issues.

--adrian

> Thank you.

Back to the top