Re: [udig-devel] Spatial Operation and Editing Tools

Thanks Paul, I reply below

Best Regards

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 20:11, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Looks great...
> - Is there any way we can genericize the act of "creating new
> features based on an operation" so that all the tools that do that
> use the same basic UI?

We identified some commons steps and commons functionalities in the work flows
of different  operation (in the architecture you can see that in "pages"
and "common" utility package). We can think in abstract work flow for
operation like:

- check preconditions operations (different, ie: "one F selected", "two or
more F selected", etc)

- parameters capture ( wizard ui ) (could reuse some wizard page, but there
are user desition that will require specials wizard page)

- execute transaction (based in uDig commands  )

We could think in this pattern as "template method" for abstract operation,
then each step could be extended for operation implementation (operation
instances).

I think to reach a good abstraction is very important to maturity the design
and implementation. I suppose at the final of this iteration we can do an
abstraction work and refactoring actions to obtain some generalizations.

> - For merging, there are a number of a separate, similar use cases:
> o Merge adjacent polygons based on an attribute value.  The
> equivalent to the SQL statement "select geomunion(the_geom) from tbl
> group by attrA".

> o Merge adjacent polygons based on "minimum change". The idea being
> similar to "sliver removal".  Combined with attribute aggregation,
> this is potentially a powerful tool, but a little different from your
> case.

I think uDig requires a selection tool, that allows to define a query, then
udig can process it and shows as selected the features. Some days ago we
debated about a selection tool that can use OGC CQL as input language, and an
editor (syntax conduced) . Then we could compose this "Selection Tool"
and "Spatial Operations" (or other action).

An scenario could be the following:
 - CQL Filter definition: "adjacent features and attributeX > 100"
 - Apply operation: select Merge