[udig-devel] uDig 1.1.M3 Released

Hi everyone,

Today marks the release of uDig 1.1.M3.  There are three big ticket changes since 1.1.M2.

The first and biggest (and funnest) is the work done on the Theming and Styling Dialog.  Go ahead and try it out; make some wicked maps.  In my opinion, Cory has done wonderful work on it and made it a blast to play with.

The second big ticket item are optimizations to the rendering of maps with many layers.  I won't go into the detail, but uDig won't thrash the harddrive when there are many shapefiles being rendered like it did before.  This results in a remarkable performance improvement.

Finally, Printing's Page Layout actually renders a preview of the map to be printed.  Related to this point, there was a bug where only a single layer could be printed, regardless of how many layers were in the map...  This issue has also been resolved.

One other point to note about this release is that there have been some major optimizations made to the editing tools.  More are to come in the future but they are already much more responsive than previously.

The files are available from:

Windows:http://udig.refractions.net/downloads/udig-1.1.M3.exe
Linux:http://udig.refractions.net/downloads/udig-1.1.M3.linux.gtk.x86.zip
Mac OS Xhttp://udig.refractions.net/downloads/udig-1.1.M3.macosx.carbon.ppc.zip