[udig-devel] Re: [Geotools-gt2-users] Mobile Applications

David Zwiers wrote:

The risks we associated with using uDig on a PDA was three fold:
Nice summary David:

1) JAI - needed by the renderering
We have a rendering "pipeline" that does not use JAI (used as a reference for the JAI layer composition).

2) ImageIO extensions - some grid formats require this
I think the GeoTIFF format requires image io, GIF, PNG, JPEG world + file formats still work.

3) AWT-SWT bridging - and eclipse RCP requirement (uDig only).
This is covered by the reference layer composition mentioned above (ie a loop of draw image).

Well, David, I'd like to know only if I could use all the facilities
of GeoTools library in a PDA or Smartphone using J2ME... I'm studying
this issue to decide if we begin a project with it or not...
Ah if it is just geotools (not not subset of udig) you will have a much easier go of things. One thing we did run into at GML dev days was a version of GML customized for cell phone use. Several Korean speakers talked about extensive standards based distribution of spatial information to cell phones as well (the government talked four years, and the private industry talked 8 months).

Let us know how it goes, I am sure we would be open to a small geotools jar of just the facilities
needed for J2ME.

Jody

Back to the top