Re: [udig-devel] holongate vs. SWT_AWT bridge

If you ever need something tested on a Mac, just let me know, I have a machine running 10.3.

On Aug 4, 2004, at 02:31, Jody Garnett wrote:

I got the following message from Jesse that may be worth wider discussion.

http://www.holongate.org/availability.html It suggests that SWT_AWT
bridge might be worth while.

As I understand it holongate offers a nice stop gap allowing the use of
JAI and the Rich Client Platform. However it is being reworked to take
advantage of the SWT_AWT bridge (limiting it to JDK 1.4 windows, or JDK
1.5 everybody else).

This is a tough one:
- We did intend to use the bridge origionally (although did not know
this would require a wait for JDK 1.5)
- No clue when JDK 1.5 will come out for mac, one of our target platforms
- Stop gap solution (copy Java2D image to eclipse framework image using
native blit routines) does work and Jesse has been working with it
- SWT_AWT brige does not have the performance hit

I imagine we will need some measurement, a look at the JDK and Eclipse
RCP roadmaps, and some feedback from someone with a Mac before we know
what to do on this one.

Jody