[udig-devel] Re: GO-1 implementation by Polexis

Thanks for starting this ball rolling Martin.

The idea of supporting a commercial rendering pipeline is appealing - and indeed something we have designed for.

We are going to be on a very tight timeline for our next milestone (I will send an update to the uDig list soon). What we have done in response to the CRS changes/instability is delay our need for reprojection until Milestone 3 (Mid October). This should bye the geotools2 community several months of time, and allow us to keep the pressure off.

The more immediate concern is closing the Geotools 2.0 development branch and starting Geotools2.1. Chris Holmes has some commercial developers from Australia that will also be working on the 2.1 branch. So we will need to talk to James and make sure we can plan for a smooth changeover.

From the standpoint of the uDig project we should be able to wrap the GO-1 interfaces (and a Polexis renderer) for use. Please don't update the lite renderer/ j2renderer on our account. Besides don't you need to get your Geometry interfaces and JTS replacement first? The Go-1 interfaces are attractive though we should really talk schedule at one of these geotools2 irc meetings.

One timeline with GO-1, GeoAPI, Geotools, GeoServer, uDig would go a really long way.

Jody

Hello Greg, Jody and all

I send this email to both Refraction Research and Polexis peoples in order to get you in touch.

A while ago, I proposed to Refraction Research to use GO-1 interfaces for the renderer part and refactor Geotools J2D and lite-renderer later as two implementations of those interfaces. However, I don't know how long it will take to refactor those renderers, and I will have some difficulties to work on them before a few months. In the main time, there is one possible solution: Polexis, the compagny who created the GO-1 specification, has an implementation backed by ESRI product. If I'm understanding right, Polexis would be willing to make this code available in Geotools (do I'm right Greg)? If so, then maybe Refraction Research could use it as a GO-1 implementation for testing purpose, and switch progressively to a pure Java implementation as Geotools's renderer refactoring progress? Note that even in the long term, a client may have valid reasons to want a renderer backed by ESRI. Using GO-1 interfaces should allow us to switch renderers more easily.

An implementation backed by a commercial product could not live in Geotools's main module, but if I'm understanding right it could live in one of 'ext' modules. What do you think?

    Martin.

Back to the top