[udig-devel] Rendering Finally a good idea!

I finally have a good insight into how we can use j2d renderer while still letting an application choose which rendering option to use. I had been focusing on have a UserLayer that mapped to different RenderedLayers at runtime.

The problem was when/how to the choosing. I had tried focusing on reducing the number of Rendered Layers, but now I have a better idea.

User Layers:
- road - WFS/WMS
- river - WFS/WMS
- ditch - shapefile

RenderedLayers
- road WFS request layer
- road WMS request layer
- river WFS request layer
- river WMS request layer
-ditch DataStore shapefile request layer

By expanding things so their are several RenderedLayers - one for each alternate. The application can still choose what is displayed by flipping which layers are visisble. May need to teach the Legend decorator to only display visiable layers.

This should work - and not distrubt the tranquility of j2d/lite renderer.

As for the combine idea (folding several WMS requests into one) - I am not sure if an application wants to take a run through the list of RenderedLayers and start modifying query objects.

Thanks for putting up with us as we try and work things out.

Jody

Back to the top