[tycho-user] Tycho 2.3.0 doesn't auto-start org.eclipse.equinox.ds bundle anymore - Was: Regression (since 2.1.0): useUIHarness doesn't work with Eclipse Neon anymore

Hi all,

> I'm making some headway on my quest to run my tests against old versions
> of Java and Eclipse.
>
> With <https://github.com/eclipse/tycho/issues/70> being addressed, I can
> now run tests on Java 8 again - *if* on Eclipse Oxygen or later. For
> Luna, Mars, and Neon, however, I get an exception during IDE startup:
>
>> java.lang.NullPointerException
>>         at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ModelServiceImpl.<init>(ModelServiceImpl.java:121)

I've found out what has changed between Tycho 2.2.0 and 2.30:

  The org.eclipse.equinox.ds bundle is no longer auto-started.

But this seems to be necessary in Eclipse Neon or earlier. I was hence
able to get my build working again using some extra configuration for
the tycho-surefire-plugin:

  <bundleStartLevel>
    <bundle>
      <id>org.eclipse.equinox.ds</id>
      <level>1</level>
      <autoStart>true</autoStart>
    </bundle>
  </bundleStartLevel>

The question is, however, whether this change in behavior is desired or
a regression? Can one of the Tycho committers comment on that? I didn't
find any information in the release notes for 2.3.0 or Bugzilla.

Should I file a bug?

Best wishes,

Andreas Sewe

--