Re: [tycho-user] Symbolic links as text files on Windows

Hi

I strongly recommend that you avoid symbolic links. Redesign before you create more problems.

They don't work on Windows and what appears to be a pale imitation of Linux is just confusing.

They don't work on Unix either. e.g. symbolic links cannot be used when mirroring Eclipse downloads/updates and/or cannot be used to publish a non-cloned 'latest' P2 repo. Just for extra fun there are hard/soft symbolic links.

Philosophically how can they work? If I create three archives for you of my work involving symbolic links, how many times should the linked material be replicated and how do you contrive to share them again/obtain the omissions? Clearly symbolic links require accurate shared understanding of the functional intent by both tools and humans to satisfy that intent.

    Regards

        Ed Willink