Re: [tycho-user] Simplified product definition?

Hi,

On 06/28/2012 04:45 PM, Kopecz, Klaus wrote:
Question: is there a way to define my product more dynamically, so that the final feature content reflects the content of my p2 <repositories> without  adapting my .product file manually? Something like an "include all features" possible in the .product file?
It is not possible. Product files are file that specify the content of your product, and all those definitions are static.
If you want more dynamics, you'll probably need to set it up by yourself, using for example XSLT sheets to populate a template .product file with some entries from each content.jar!content.xml in your repositories. This is kind of unmaintainable. Moreover, too much dynamics leads to much less control, and implies that you need to fully trust the p2 repositories you depend on... It's up to you but I wouldn't, since there is no real sustainability policies for p2 repo content and location so far. p2 repo can move, change, disappear, grow; and you'll for sure need to know when one of those change happen.
So I advise you to keep on maintaining your product file manually, and to react to repo changes when useful or necessary rather than introducing a lot of magic that makes you loose control on what will be the final output of your build.

My 2c.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat