[tycho-user] POM / Parent-POM Relation

I am working on setting up a project with multiple repositories, most notably a shared repository and a private repository.  Within the shared repository I wanted to place the "master" POM for the whole project and then have "parent" POM's for related feature groups (ie. related features and associated bundles all inherit from the same parent POM) which inherit from the "master" POM.  For example: there would be 1 "master" POM, 4 "parent" POM's inheriting from "master", 10 features each inheriting from one of the "parent's", and 20 plugin's each inheriting from the same "parent" POM as its related feature.  (Sound reasonable?)

How do you configure each of the POM's so that they know where their parent POM is located?  The best example I can give is the org.eclipse POM and all of the POM's that inherit from it.  The org.eclipse parent POM (http://git.eclipse.org/c/cbi/platform-aggregator.git/tree/eclipse-parent/pom.xml) is the parent for all POM's.  However, for the individual POM's, say org.eclipse.platform (http://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.git/tree/pom.xml), there is no relative path set for the parent POM.  Thus when it comes time to build the project (whether in Eclipse or Hudson), if you are building the org.eclipse.platform located in one repository how does it know how to get the parent POM in another repository (event though it doesn't know that) ....

The only thing I can come up with is using a profile or parameter, but when I have attempt either of these the build still fails.

In short:
If I wanted to build the artifact org.eclipse.platform how would it retrieve the parent POM org.eclipse?

Thanks,

JD

Back to the top