Re: [tycho-user] Best practice for version handling

On 09/01/2012 12:59, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
Parent coordinates have to be constants, otherwise Maven will not be
able to load build extensions that provide Tycho-specific behaviour. The
same probably applies to artifactId and packaging, but I am not 100% sure.
Ok, that's what I thought too.

I do not believe there are any fundamental restrictions on other parts
of pom.xml, but implementation may or may not be possible without
changes to Maven core.
It would probably make more sense to have ${manifest.*} in Maven core rather than just in Tycho. It is not related to p2, and any Maven project could use it.

Other Maven tools, like m2e, will likely need changes to support the new properties.
If this feature exists and is used, then other tools will automatically support it later. Other tools are not a blocking point.

The real question, though, is it worth the trouble?
I think that although it is not that difficult to synchronize pom and manifest, it is one more (easy to forget and annoying) step to do when maintaining a project. And having the opportunity to reference MANIFEST in artifactId and version -and then to have automatic synchronization- would be a great step forward conceptually. It would make Tycho even more OSGi-friendly,

So it would be very nice to have it,

But that's not an immediate requirement, just more food for thoughts.
--

Mickael Istria
R&D Engineer, Eclipse Plug-in RCP Developer

PetalsLink - Open Source SOA

My blog - My Tweets

Back to the top