Re: [tycho-user] Why is Tycho manifest-first?

Hi,

MANIFEST.MF is the file that is used at dev-time by PDE and at runtime by your OSGi Container to deal with modularization. Maven is build-time modularization, based on pom.xml to express dependencies. Then the general issue with Maven and OSGi is that there are 2 ways to express dependencies. Tycho probably made the right choice choosing the approach that is the state-of-the-art: relying on MANIFEST.MF.
If you want to have a pom-first approach, how do you deal with PDE at dev-time without a good MANIFEST.MF?

Supporting files such as build.properties is quite convenient for everybody in the Eclipse world. Without that, I think Tycho would not have been so successful at Eclipse. But since these files are originally specific to the PDE build, I think and I hope they'll tend to disappear to have build customization in pom.xml instead of build.properties.

About p2, I can tell you that there is not any drawback when dealing with Eclipse projects builds. Maybe you should elaborate more your specific use-case to teach us the limitations some people (including me) are not aware of.

My 2c.