De : tycho-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tycho-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] De la part de Igor Fedorenko
Envoyé : 16 novembre 2011 16:10
À : tycho-user@xxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : Re: [tycho-user] Why is Tycho manifest-first?

FWIW, latest m2e-tycho lets you work on pom-first projects using Eclipse
PDE without additional overhead either, so I would not use this to
choose between pom-first and manifest first.

The real difference comes from dependencies. If most of project
dependencies come from p2 repositories, then manifest-first makes
dependency resolution easier, if not the only viable option. If,
however, all project dependencies are available from Maven repositories,
then pom-first works much better.

Developer background and personal preferences also play a role here.
Personally, I find it easier to have bundle manifest generated for me,
but I know other developers prefer maintaing manifests by hand. One
of the crazier ideas I recently had was to rework Eclipse Platform build
using pom-first approach, so that entire eclipse platform becomes
natively available from a Maven repository. I gave up on this idea
mostly because I did not see how to convince platform developers let a
tool generate bundle manifests for them.

--
Regards,
Igor