Re: [tycho-user] tycho 0.11.0 always downloading content.xml and artifacts.xml from local p2 helios mirror

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 06:54, Igor Fedorenko <ifedorenko@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ultimately, we want to run Tycho builds without any local setup, i.e.
> any developer or CI system should be able to clone (or checkout) source
> code and immediately do "mvn clean install". Use of *remote* p2
> repositories is part of solution of this problem and existing
> -Dtycho.targetPlatform support makes implementation mode difficult.

Use of remote p2 repositories allows for a simple checkout and "mvn
clean install" -- as long as all the remote repositories are
accessible and not inside some intranet.

Use of local repositories allows for a simple checkout and "mvn clean
install" -- as long as the local repositories are part of the
checkout.

Having at least one local (p2, or even better, non-p2) repository
makes it trivial for a developer to test new third-party bundles (that
aren't already available from a maven or p2 repository). If only
remote repositories are allowed, it seems the developer would first
have to get that bundle deployed to one of the shared p2 repositories
(undesirable e.g. if you're evaluating several libraries and intend to
keep at most one), or else create a fake remote repository by setting
up a local web server, creating a temporary p2 repository for the new
bundles, and editing the target definition...

Seems quite tedious for someone who works on a project that uses a lot
of such third-party bundles and updates them often. But perhaps I am
missing something?

Back to the top