From: tycho-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tycho-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Oberlies, Tobias
Sent: Freitag, 8. April 2011 18:29
To: tycho-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Tycho user list
Subject: Re: [tycho-user] [Tycho Users] Request for Comments: Migration path to new packaging type for p2-enabled products

We had discussed this at EclipseCon, and I also wanted to share the results here.

The behaviour of eclipse-application and the planned eclipse-product [1] differs in case of products that are not "valid" (according to the product editor's validate button), i.e. products that list bundles but not all of their dependencies. In that situation, eclipse-product adds the missing dependencies, whereas eclipse-application creates an installation with bundles that cannot be resolved & started. We consider the former to be the better default.

Also eclipse-product does not imply that the installed product has to contain the p2 bundles. It only includes p2 metadata that would allow updates through an external program (the p2 director). If that option is not desired, the update metadata may be removed without breaking the installation.

All-in-all, there are not sufficient reasons for having two implementations product support in Tycho. eclipse-application will be deprecated as soon as eclipse-product is implemented - and the implementation will be removed eventually, but certainly before a 1.0 release.

@Igor, Jan: Does this match your memories of our discussion?

Tobias

[1] https://docs.sonatype.org/display/TYCHO/Discussion+on+eclipse-repository+packaging+type+clean-up (updated today)