Re: [tycho-dev] Breaking change in 2.7.0?

Hi Dirk,

we also use Github Discussions[1] for Tycho so feel free to post is there if you like to reach a greater audience.

Regarding your questions:

> There is no newer version of that plugin. So obviously the only
> solution is either to not update to 2.7.0 or to disable the plugin.

If it is open-source you could obviously propose a patch as a third alternative.

> I’m just wondering, is that class really removed or moved?

it is located here now:

https://github.com/eclipse/tycho/blob/master/tycho-bundles/org.eclipse.tycho.embedder.shared/src/main/java/org/eclipse/tycho/BuildProperties.java

> And isn’t that a breaking change

The tycho-internals are not considered public-api, if a plugin extends tycho, it has to declare a given version according to the maven-versioning rules and will always fetch its compatible tycho version. If you override that in your pom (e.g. forcing maven to use a never version) you are mostly doing that on your own risk.

> would have forced to update the MAJOR part
> of the Tycho

See [2] for the version policy, in general we consider only things that affecting Tycho users at the pom/tool level a breaking change. The rationale is, that users actually don't care if the *internals* change, e.g you won't notice that move of BuildProperties and it does not add any value, so why should you upgrade to a never version? And in this particular case the outcome would be the same: You would have to stay at Tycho 2.5.0 or update the plugin that depends on Tycho internals.

[1] https://github.com/eclipse/tycho/discussions
[2] https://github.com/eclipse/tycho/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#increasing-versions