Re: [tycho-dev] Tycho to require Java 11

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 at 10:04, Christoph Läubrich <laeubi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I understand this and sure in a perfect world everyone will upgrade and
adopt ASAP, but from my daily work I can only tell that especially for
larger (enterprise) projects its not always that easy.

Its not really ASAP.. if it is now 1.5 years after the release... (Sep 2018)

But i wonder what you mean with upgrade? like using the new module system?
Or that it just runs on java 11?

For us running it on java 11 means more that we needed to wait a for the things that we use (eclipse/tomcat and so on).
And then here and there (small) fixes where use used internal or removed api's

We still compile against java 8 but we run fine on java 11 (or 14). We ship our eclipse product now with Java 13 will upgrade that one to Java 14 for our next release.

I guess when we start using Eclipse 2020.09 (i guess thats the one for java 11? or is it after this release eclipse is saying now development starts on java 11 so the release that will say this is 2020.12?) i will update all our plugins target vm also to java 11 (and i guess i need to change some jenkins stuff also so all those are really build with java 11)

Johan

P.S. i stil wonder how tycho/eclipse is going to work on Java14 now then the pack tools are gone...

Back to the top