[tycho-dev] Resolving against multiple .target files

Hi all,

I'm cross-posting this discussion to both pde-dev and tycho-dev lists, please ensure you are subscribed to both and use "Reply To All".

This discussion is intended to have opinion from PDE folks on this enhancement request: https://github.com/mickaelistria/tycho/tree/388909 "Allow multiple target files as input of target-platform-configuration plugin".

The general idea is that, in big "composite" projects, we may have most of the target-platforms (TP) in common between all components, and each component may want to provide an extension to this target-platform. It is the case for JBoss Tools, for which we'd like to provide all external/core -Eclipse, Atlassian, GWT...- dependencies in a target-platform that components would be forced to use, in order to ensure all components work together on the dependencies specified by the TP. Then each component should be able to "extend" this target-platform to add its internal dependencies on other JBoss components.
However, TPs are published to Nexus for sharing, and we don't want components to take and tweak our core TP.

In Tycho, that could be achieved by allowing support of several TPs simultaneously. So component B would say to Tycho: I want to resolve against the Core TP + this TP of mine (which defines dependencies on component A). Tycho would then resolve against those 2 TPs, just as if their locations were merged in a single .target file.
It's all about supporting some "pieces of target-platform".

What is the opinion of PDE guys on this topic? I think, given JBoss Tools use-cases that this is something that makes also a lot of sense to support in PDE, and in Tycho.
Moreover, in the preference page for target platforms, there are checkboxes instead of radio buttons, which means that I'm not the first one to think it would be useful to select several TPs ;)

Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat