Re: [tycho-dev] [technology-pmc] Release Reviews

The project metadata lists several "releases". Release has a pretty specific meaning at Eclipse. Can you either remove the entries, or rename them as milestones (e.g. 0.15.0M0)?

Wayne

On 06/19/2012 09:01 AM, Oberlies, Tobias wrote:
@Wayne: After the discussion we had about milestones vs. releases in Tycho, I added a note that all Tycho versions are milestones according to the Eclipse nomenclature: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Release_Notes

I'd agree to a release review for the next Tycho version (0.16.0). As Jan already stated, this is the first non-milestone release that is possible, because some of Tycho's initial contribution CQs were finally approved last week.

IMHO, graduation is a different topic, and just like Igor I have my doubts that we'll be ready by the end of Kepler.

Regards
Tobias

-----Original Message-----
From: tycho-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tycho-dev-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Igor Fedorenko
Sent: Montag, 18. Juni 2012 22:16
To: Technology PMC
Cc: tycho-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [tycho-dev] [technology-pmc] Release Reviews

Wayne,

These are builds we publish for community testing and I am trying to
call them as such -- "tycho builds" [1]. We do sometime call these
builds "release builds", but this is a reference to terminology used in
Maven versioning scheme and has nothing to do with "releases" in
Eclipse
sense of the word. These builds serve the same purpose as S builds of
other Eclipse projects and I believe we actually do what everybody else
does.

As for releasing Tycho with Kepler, I see at least two problems

First, and foremost, Tycho is not quite ready for "1.0" just yet. We
are
still evolving Tycho-specific pom.xml configuration format, which and
Tycho extensions API is simply not there. We may or may not have this
ready for Kepler, but I am not comfortable committing to this.

Second, I honestly don't see any advantages for Tycho to "join the
train". Tycho can't be part of the release repository and I don't want
to link Tycho release schedule with 200 or so other projects just for
the sake of it.

[1] http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/tycho-user/msg02558.html

--
Regards,