Re: [tycho-dev] Tycho surefire test output

That's a cool idea ! how many hours did )do) I spend finding out which services are not up because those bundles were not started/which bundle was not installed because it was missing this bundle / etc...

From: tycho-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tycho-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Katya Todorova
Sent: 29 novembre 2011 09:55
To: tycho-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tycho-dev] Tycho surefire test output

Hi guys,

I'm having difficulties with troubleshooting test failures due to classloading problems when using tycho surefire plugin.  From what I've seen, the process of running tests involves multiple mechanisms for identifying plugin
dependencies  - maven, p2, equinox, etc. In the end it's not trivial to guess the actual OSGi environment the failing test is run in so the only way to find out what's wrong is to reproduce the problem.

With a dynamic environment as equinox  some classes of problems (unexpected wiring between bundles, missing service dependencies, etc) are not reproducible in all the cases. On the other hand reproducing test failure may
take relatively long time (especially when trying to reproduce/debug the problem in a different environment than it initially occurs).

Instead of reproducing the problem, an offline analysis of the logs could easily help in troubleshooting issues like the mentioned above. Currently tycho log contains some of the required information for such offline analysis:
       - list of the binaries that are installed (and their locations);
       - the command line for launching the java process;
but lack equinox runtime pieces like:
       - the actual wiring and state of the istalled bundles ( e.g "ss" and "b <id>" command output)
       - the list of service components registered in the service registry;
       - the effective set of parameter equinox framework uses;
       - etc.

So my proposal is to add these pieces to tycho logs. Are you interested in a change of that kind?

Thank you,
Katya

Le contenu de ce courriel s'adresse au destinataire seulement. Il contient de l'information pouvant être confidentielle. Vous ne devez ni le copier ni l'utiliser ni le divulguer à qui que ce soit à moins que vous soyez le destinataire ou une personne désignée autorisée. Si vous le receviez par erreur, veuillez nous aviser immédiatement et le détruire.