Re: [tracecompass-dev] Having trouble using Flame Chart

Hi Evan,

The XML gantt chart is an XML analysis, not the trace parser. If you can see your events in the event table already, as you should with an LTTng JUL trace, you should be able to use an XML analysis. We have an example of non-trivial XML analysis for a JUL trace of the log points of Trace Compass itself here [1]. The XML analysis (in the 'pattern' element) fills the state system backend (the database of states) with the entry/exit events, grouped in this case by 'Views' and 'Threads'. Then the 'callstackGroup' element tells the analysis where to look for callstacks (in our case, we possibly want to group by 2 levels, Views and threads, but we could have put it all under one element).

Unfortunately, XML and the generic callstacks are not very well documented, so I hope this example can help you with your use case.

[1] https://github.com/tracecompass/tracecompass-incubator/blob/master/tracetypes/org.eclipse.tracecompass.incubator.tracecompass.core/xml_analyses/GroupedTasks.xml

Best regards,

Geneviève

On 2021-08-11 4:59 a.m., Evan Galea wrote:
Hi Matthew, thanks for the reply.

What is meant by XML gantt chart? Is it the xml time graph view? I have been working on a custom xml parser to try and read in the values of the traces. Is this what is meant by custom analysis for the events?

Also I noticed that the time graph lists 'name', 'id', and 'parentID' to the left, of the chart, are these the corresponding ust events in lttng?

Finally, is there a way to convert ctf traces to xml traces in tracecompass, babeltrace, or Lttng? I have tried using the text parser but have found it very difficult to work with, though it might just be me being bad at regular expressions.

Thank you again for your time
Evan Galea