Re: [tracecompass-dev] Question about VM tracing with LTTng and Virtual Machine Analysis inside TraceCompass

[Resending, with the proper account.. Sorry!]

On Tue, 2021-02-16 at 16:54 -0500, Geneviève Bastien wrote:
> Hi Emilio and Dario,

Hello!

> Thanks for the interest in the virtual machine analysis feature.

Well, thanks to you for answering really quickly. :-)

> This documentation is something I have not revisited in a few years,
> so it is indeed outdated.
>
> As mentioned, for the trace synchronization, the newer lttng versions
> have support for it out of the box now. The doc should only mention
> that.

Ok.

> As for the virtual machine analysis itself, I worked on an approach
> more straightforward, if you are using Qemu/KVM.

Yep, we are.

> Here's a presentation from almost 3 years ago on the topic, linking
> to more recent (but still outdated) lttng-tools/ust/modules branches
> [1]. This approach does not require trace synchronization at all.

Ah, cool! And thanks again.

Just from a really quick look, it seems similar to what the ftrace &
trace-cmd developers are doing, in order to achieve the same.

> The Trace Compass documentation was never updated to link to these,
> as I was hoping they would make it in upstream lttng first and was
> waiting for that. But that never happened, due to lack of interest by
> the community.
>
> If you are interested, I can try to see if I can quickly rebase these
> branches on the latest lttng 2.12, so you can try it out. You could
> also contact the lttng community to see if they have anything in
> their roadmap regarding this feature.

Well, if you're up for trying a quick rebase, we are certainly up for
giving whatever you produce a try and test it.

After that, we definitely can go to the LTTng community, explain that
we're interested and try to "push" for the merge of the feature.

And maybe (in the meanwhile) we can help updating the documentation

Looking forward to your branch, if you decide to do it. :-D

Thanks again and Regards

--
Dario Faggioli, Ph.D
http://about.me/dario.faggioli