Re: [tracecompass-dev] Question about VM tracing with LTTng and Virtual Machine Analysis inside TraceCompass

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 04:38:14PM +0000, tracecompass developer discussions wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are trying to trace a VM with LTTng and then make the Virtual Machine Analysis inside TraceCompass. Following the documentation instructions ( https://archive.eclipse.org/tracecompass/doc/stable/org.eclipse.tracecompass.doc.user/Trace-synchronization.html#Trace_synchronization ) for synchronization of the traces, we are encountering some errors:
>
> - In the section "LTTng-module network tracepoint with complete data", it seems that the git repository mentioned there does not exist any longer:
>
> git.dorsal.polymtl.ca<http://git.dorsal.polymtl.ca>[0: 132.207.72.58]: errno=Connection refused
>
> - In the section "LTTng-modules addons kernel module with dynamic tracepoints", when compiling the modules, we get the following errors:

I see "old_lttng" in the directory hierarchy of these log. What version are we
talking about here?

> Is there a more updated version of those repositories that we can use, or is the process for doing a VM analysis different from what is described in those two sections of TraceCompass documentation?

AFAIK you can use any lttng-modules > 2.9 here.

""
As of LTTng-modules 2.9, the net_dev_queue and net_if_receive_skb tracepoints contain all the necessary data to synchronize the traces.
""

Note that 2.9 and 2.10 are not maintained anymore so they might not build
against newer kernel (5.20.12-1 in your case), I would recommend that you
use the latest lttng stable release (stable-2.12 at this time).

Kernel tracer (LTTng-modules):
https://github.com/lttng/lttng-modules/releases/tag/v2.12.4

Userspace tracer (LTTng-ust):
https://github.com/lttng/lttng-ust/releases/tag/v2.12.0