Re: [tracecompass-dev] Generic callstacks / callgraphs / flamegraphs

Hi Geneviève,

As you know, I am currently working on generalizing the time graph
views, by splitting the view model from the presentation layer. My first
target is the Control Flow View (and probably the Resource View at the
same time, since it's based off the same data). But I can easily see the
Callstack view fit into that model, since it is just a specialized
statesystem-based time graph view.

Your ICallstackProvider could become a subclass of
"StateSystemModelRenderProvider" [1], which would then populate its
corresponding Callstack View. This would avoid duplicating all the
view's logic. Then ICallstackProvider could provide all the downstream
flexibility you want. It would also be a good occasion to make sure the
*ModelRenderProvider classes provide sufficient functionality.

I should have a prototype ready over the next week, we can discuss it
further at that point.

Cheers,
Alex

[1] WIP prototype (lots of fixmes etc. remaining):
https://github.com/alexmonthy/tracecompass/blob/426a9026e405465c7e24cc5e50a4d3c2eb19f14c/tmf/org.eclipse.tracecompass.tmf.core/src/org/eclipse/tracecompass/internal/provisional/tmf/core/views/timegraph2/statesystem/StateSystemModelRenderProvider.java

The implementation for the Control Flow would look like something like this:
https://github.com/alexmonthy/tracecompass/blob/426a9026e405465c7e24cc5e50a4d3c2eb19f14c/analysis/org.eclipse.tracecompass.analysis.os.linux.core/src/org/eclipse/tracecompass/internal/analysis/os/linux/core/views/controlflow2/ControlFlowRenderProvider.java

(note that both of these are *core* classes, no UI dependencies at this
level!)