[tracecompass-dev] Heads up: Minimum Maven version change (3.0 to 3.3.x)

Hello,

Up to now, Trace Compass has required Maven 3.0 to build the project and run the tests from command line. A few upcoming changes will make it necessary to use a more recent version of Maven:
- Execution of RCPTT tests. Requires Maven 3.1.x
- Pom-less build. Requires Maven 3.3.x.

I suggest that the minimum Maven gets increased to 3.3 so that both changes can work. If you didn't use Maven before in your workflow then you don't have to do anything. Depending on your operating system/distribution, you might need to upgrade manually. I'm including some instructions to ease the upgrade process. Since a lot of people will be on holidays in the coming days, I think it would be good to give people some time to do the upgrade before applying the changes. So I propose to not merge those two changes before January 6th (should give a couple of days for most people).

Quick instructions:

Ubuntu 14.04 (and any Ubuntu prior to 15.10):
The Maven package provided is too old (3.0.5). You will need to download a newer binary [1] and extract it somewhere. Then you can add the maven/bin folder to your PATH environment variable (in ~/.bashrc for example) or another suggestion is to add an alias so that you can have both the Ubuntu one and the more recent one. For example, I edit my ~/.bashrc with
alias mvn333='/home/user/apache-maven-3.3.3/bin/mvn'

Ubuntu 15.10 and up:
You can simply install the maven package, the version is recent enough (3.3.3)

Windows:
Same as before. Download the binary [1] and extract it somewhere. Add to PATH in the environment variables. Make sure you set JAVA_HOME too (Java 8!).

Mac:
Recent versions are available through packaging system like Homebrew and Macports. But I usually just download the binary [1] and extract it somewhere. Then add to PATH in the environment variables (~/.profile). Make sure you set JAVA_HOME too (Java 8!).

You can verify the version with 'mvn -version'

m2e:
If you use the m2e plugin inside Eclipse, you only need to make sure to have a recent version (Check for updates). As of Eclipse Mars.1, the embeded version is 3.3.3.

[1] http://maven.apache.org/download.cgi

Regards,
Marc-Andre

Back to the top