[tracecompass-dev] Synchronizing LTTng Kernel and UST Traces ?

Hi Tracecompass Experts,

I have obtained an LTTng-UST and Kernel Trace in parallel, but looking at the respective combined experiment it turns out that Kernel and UST seem to use different time sources (there’s a time skew).  Consider attached screenshot: The UST event is shown in the middle of syscall state, but it would be expected in “lemon_server RUNNING” state.

Reading the Trace Compass docs, I see that there’s a synchronization feature, but only for network traces and only with experimental branches enabled.

What could be done to get Kernel and UST traces synchronized ? Or should a completely different method of data gathering be considered, eg doing “perf record” with uprobes enabled and then converting the perf.data to CTF for investigation ? Correlating application traces with Kernel event seems a powerful tool to me for understanding excessive latencies … perhaps adding UST pthread events could help with trace synchronization since these should exist on Kernel and UST side ?

Many thanks for any pointers !!

PS my sample trace was obtained on Linux qemux86, Kernel 4.1 with lttng-2.6. I’m happy to share the recorded traces if anybody is interested.

Thanks,

Martin

--

Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Owner – Development Tools, Wind River

direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6