Re: [tracecompass-dev] Removing contributor list from copyright header

I just don't want to -1 any patches for any of those things, be it missing/extra entry in the contributor list or missing/extra @author tags. Everything is taken care of by the git log / CLA. If someone wants to add @author or a name in the contributor list, for extra visible acknowledgement, sure. I personally like to put my name there for extra visibility in Platform code, since it can be seen by a large number of people, not because of legal purposes.

Marc-Andre
From: tracecompass-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [tracecompass-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Alexandre Montplaisir [alexmonthy@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, 18 August 2015 3:59 PM
To: tracecompass developer discussions
Subject: Re: [tracecompass-dev] Removing contributor list from copyright        header

On 2015-08-18 01:57 PM, Patrick Tasse wrote:
>> The contributor lists have been deemed to not be useful in any way.
> Not useful for legal purposes, maybe.

But that's the whole point of having these file headers at all! If we
did not need them for licensing/copyright purposes, we would not have
any headers at all.

A technically useful reason to have a list of authors is for someone
looking at the code and asking themselves "who should I email if I have
a question about this part of the code?". But the @author tags seem like
a much better place to put this information.

>> The contributor's name are already in @author tags
> About a quarter of our files don't have any @author tag, and most that do
> only have the initial author.

Then maybe these should be updated instead. Making large changes to a
file could warrant adding a @author tag too. Unlike the file header,
those also show up in the generated Javadoc.

>> and in Git.
> Not always. Older files, files that have been split, don't have every
> contributor in their git history.

As long as we keep the copyright header and @authors up to date when we
split files it should be fine. Nobody is going to look through Git to
find contributor names anyway, except as a novelty exercise.

Basically, what I'm saying is: take the contributor lists and move them
to @author tags. It's a better place to put this, it shows up in more
places, and it does not make the list of copyright holders (required for
licensing reasons) less clear.