Re: [tools-pmc] PMC Approval Request for TCF 1.3

HI David,

Many thanks for your excellent questions !

On a) Security:
One design goal of TCF is componentization : Create small building blocks that can be assembled in flexible ways to create target access, monitoring, debugging and tracing.

Securing the communication channel is not a core competency of TCF – SSH works great for that part.

The communication channel is a replaceable entity, users can make it as secure as they want with external building blocks like SSH.

On b) SSL/TLS and X.509 Certificates:

The TCF support for SSL is minimal, and from what I know nobody actively uses it. One big limitation of SSL is the use of a single key (==Certificate). If that key gets ever known to an intruder, all devices would be at risk. Therefore, our official stance and recommendation is using an SSH tunnel if you need secure communication via TCP/IP.

Also note that while TCP/IP is the default exemplary implementation for TCF, the channel abstraction supports implementing it over Serial, USB, Shared Memory (on Multicore Chips) etc. where security is not so much of an issue since the channel is physically separated from the outside world.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I can try weaving these answers into the Release Review material for further clarification (or would that be discouraged now that the PMC has officially signed off ?).

Thanks,

Martin

--

Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Owner – Development Tools, Wind River

direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6