Re: [tools-pmc] Xtend2

Hi Sven,

as a listener (not member) of tools-pmc I'm curious about your
plans regarding migration strategies for adopters of Xtend2.

> [...] changing the namespace of the bundles to 'org.eclipse.xtend2'.

I assume the same change of namespaces will also apply to all
packages inside the bundles?

As an industrial user of Xtend2 through Xtext I'd like to mention
that the rapid releases of Xtext already make it difficult to keep
pace with HEAD. Maybe the split of the projects is a good time
to expand the plan section on compatibility and API guarantees,
drawing a clear line, which aspects may possibly change in the
future and which are stable.
(as recently discussed in cross-projects the project plan for
Xtext seems to be lagging behind :) ).

Putting on my hat as a fellow language designer:
Please bear in mind that for a project that defines a new
programming language not only the API but also the language
specification should be covered by any statements about
stability and compatibility. In this context I wonder if it would
help to split the language documentation into a language
specification that is "legally binding" and user documentation
in an educational style. Currently the documentation is more
of the second kind.

Sorry if this sounds conservative, but I think these considerations
are relevant for the planned restructuring:
When creating a new Xtend2 project, what will be the start level?
From the language specification I'd personally say: version 0.8.5.
Or should the new project automatically inherit the version 2.3
from its former parent project? Note that the language Xtend2
is much younger than Xtext itself. Has that language ever seen
a 1.0 release? I'd love to see and celebrate one in the near future :)

best regards,
Stephan

Back to the top