Re: [tools-pmc] GEF Incubator Proposal

Hi Ian, more of my personal comments:

1. GEF is clearly a mature project in maintenance mode. [...]

Incorrect. GEF is not in maintenance mode. GEF is a stable project that has fewer major features year over year because the community has not contributed them. GEF has been consistently keeping up with Eclipse releases and new OS platforms every year as part of every Eclipse simultaneous release. When the community has contributed larger features, GEF has accommodated them (Zest is perfect example of that). GEF has been adding small fixes to Helios as dependent teams have asked for them. We have even been asked for API changes and we have gladly incorporated them. A project in maintenance mode would be adverse to all change. This is not the case with GEF.

2. The people doing the work are (for the most part) not active committers on other projects. An incubator will give us a chance to help mentor them.

Does this make sense? What is the difference between mentoring a committer on an incubating project or a released project?

3. [...] Forcing new ideas to follow API freeze rules (for example) will only stiffle innovation.

If you feel this strongly that working within the GEF project is going to stiffle innovation?

Cheers...
Anthony
--
Anthony Hunter mailto:anthonyh@xxxxxxxxxx
Software Development Manager

Inactive hide details for Ian Bull ---2010/02/04 05:11:36 PM---Actually, while I think making this part of GEF proper could worIan Bull ---2010/02/04 05:11:36 PM---Actually, while I think making this part of GEF proper could work, the more I think about it the more an incubator makes sense.

Ian Bull <irbull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

2010/02/04 05:11 PM

Re: [tools-pmc] GEF Incubator Proposal

Actually, while I think making this part of GEF proper could work, the more I think about it the more an incubator makes sense.

1. GEF is clearly a mature project in maintenance mode.  Many of the ideas being presented in this proposal stray well off the beaten path.  An incubator will help ensure that GEF maintains it's current direction in the short term, with the possibilty of new ideas flowing in down the road.

2. The people doing the work are (for the most part) not active committers on other projects. An incubator will give us a chance to help mentor them.

3. The GEF project, follows a similar plan as the platform (with respect to schedules, etc...).  Forcing new ideas to follow API freeze rules (for example) will only stiffle innovation.

We could, if it makes more sense, propose this project under "Technology".  But since this is tied closely to GEF, a tools project (IMHO) seems appropriate.

cheers,
ian