Re: [tools-pmc] VE incubator - FOCUS

Philippe, Doug, Ed, John, Jeff, and everyone else,

Currently the Dev Process and IP Policy rules say "only Projects" can have incubation. I agree that, with the benefit of additional experience, this rule doesn't seem to make as much sense as it perhaps did at first. I would like to have it changed for something better (where "better" means "better for the projects and better for the members"). However, until then, we're stuck with that rule. Also see Jeff's excellent discourse on the topic.

Thus the only way to get parallel IP, today, is to have an incubating _Project_.

Option 1 - create a Tool Incubator and incubate VE under the Tools Incubator.

I also suggested [1,2] that there is another option: revert the VE project to an Incubation Phase without reverting it's release number. I am willing to stand up in front of the Executive Director and/or the Board and explain why this is a good idea and will continue to safeguard our IP process. So that leaves:

Option 2 - revert VE to an Incubation Phase project without forcing a reset to < 1.0.

If you choose option 2, we (collectively, the VE team, the Tools PMC, and I) need to be very, VERY clear about how we are going to identify that VE is in incubation, that's its releases are incubating releases, and what it will take to re-graduate.

Cheers,
Bjorn

--

[end of message]