RE: [tools-pmc] VE incubator - FOCUS

The desire for focus/decision is understandable but first we need the facts.

I can confirm/second the fact that option #1 (incubating *component*) will not work under the current IP Policy.  We had exactly this situation in Eclipse with the Equinox, PDE and Platform "incubators".  When parallel IP came around (a major advance and improvement BTW) we created an Incubator project and moved the "incubator" components.

Some context.  First, this situation was NOT created by the EMO.  The board in all its wisdom of days of yore setup the IP policy with a clear and focussed eye on the IP integrity of the software consumed from Eclipse releases.  This has been an absolutely massive win for the eco-system.  As Eclipse has evolved and there are more and more people, projects, ideas, domains, ... coming to Eclipse, the original policy was strained.  Enter parallel IP.  There was a broad discussion about parallel IP to resolve a number of issues.  While folks liked the idea, there was concern that loosening the rules for what the public sees as "stable, industrial strength, commercial-ready" projects was a road to very visible disaster.   The board was and is acting in what is saw/sees as the best interests of Eclipse (the whole thing).  That is their job.

Enter the happy coincidence that Bjorn and others were evolving the development process to identify "incubation" more clearly.  Given the impass over parallel IP for released projects, someone (me) observed that if we limited the parallel IP mechanism to the newly defined incubating projects, the risks could be mitigated and much of the value retained.  This was an incremental step that has greatly improved the situation we were in just one year ago.

What we are seeing now is a symptom of our success -- the need to facilitate more people and contributions.  This is great!  As the board becomes more comfortable with the ideas and mechanisms around parallel IP there may well be evolutions in the IP policy to allow for broader application.  That is not the situation of today.  Given that, I suggest that we
- enter the abyss and and make a Tools Incubator and add VE as a component.
- ask Philippe to drive both the creation of the incubator and the VE component
- allow the VE incubator to use the existing VE mailing lists and newsgroups
- encourage the VE incubator to use a distinct bugzilla bucket for incubation bugs
- require all incubating code in the repo be in an "incubator" folder
- allow for incubation code to "graduate" from the tools.incubator.ve component to the tools.ve.xxx component as needed (subject to move reviews as needed)
- seek to adapt/modify/eliminate this structure if the parallel IP policy is expanded

Jeff

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/22/2007 04:45 PM

Please respond to
Tools PMC mailing list <tools-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Tools PMC mailing list <tools-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
RE: [tools-pmc] VE incubator - FOCUS

Doug,

If you think you're frustrated after just one day, just imagine my
frustration having spent several months trying to get the rules changed at
the board level.  As you can imagine, the rules for IP cleanliness are
considered sacred; I do agree that they are one of the distinguishing
features of Eclipse that makes it so valuable to commercial consumers.
Based on this experience, I can imagine that an incubating component in
"mature" project is just not going to be acceptable without the actual rule
changes the committer reps (not just me) have been advocating.  I'd love to
be wrong, but if I am, I have to wonder why trying to change the rules has
proven so difficult.

Note that at the time EMFT was created, the problem was actually a
different one; there was no parallel IP process back them.   The problem
was that projects had no substructure, so I could not partition the
committers into the separate components over which they had control.  I
wasn't comfortable just adding people to EMF; like Mik says, I wanted to
set a high bar.  But now we have components and I'm pretty happy with the
structure.  I was planning on eliminating EMFT (which was in Technology
while EMF was in Tools) when the Modeling PCM was formed, until the
parallel IP process was introduced and was defined to apply only to
conforming incubating projects.  So I've had to keep EMFT alive.  I'd be
just as happy without it...

I hope nothing I've done is interpreted as anything other than an attempt
to help Philippe build a diverse and vibrant community...

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3265  (t/l 969)

            Doug Schaefer
            <DSchaefer@xxxxxx
            m>                                                         To
            Sent by:                  Tools PMC mailing list
            tools-pmc-bounces         <tools-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
            @eclipse.org                                               cc

                                                                  Subject
            10/22/2007 04:27          RE: [tools-pmc] VE incubator -
            PM                        FOCUS

            Please respond to
            Tools PMC mailing
                  list
            <tools-pmc@eclips
                 e.org>

At this point, I give up...

Ed, if you're happy for the rules to be different, why didn't you try to
change them when EMFT was created? That's all I'm trying to do here.

Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems