Re: [tm-dev] o.e.remote and Terminals

Hi Doug,

What you describe sounds like your various connection types are configured elsewhere (outside the Terminal), so in the context of the Terminal View, no “new wizard UI” would be necessary at all. “Something” creates a Terminal as part of a Launch, and you can interact through it (or close it) but not reconfigure it.

I think that the Terminal already supports this as-is. We’re using this mode of operation for TCF, and I think to some extent it’s the same for the o.e.tm.terminal.remote for PTP/Remote kind of connections. I don’t quite see what kind of duplication you see here – the Terminal is only used for displaying an existing Stream of data in this case.

Does that help you in any way, or am I missing a point ?

Regarding RXTX, I’m reluctant obsoleting it in favor of the new CDT Serial. We have seen many subtle issues with various USB/Serial adapters over the years and I’d hate seeing any regression in products. This serial stuff seems to be highly timing dependent (and hardware dependent), making it hard or impossible to get any good test coverage. RXTX isn’t perfect either, and I’d love to be proven wrong by lots of successful adopters of CDT Serial … but until that happens, I’m afraid we need to at least support RXTX in parallel. Do you have any data regarding the quality / hardware support matrix of the new CDT Serial ?

Thanks,

Martin

--

Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Owner – Development Tools, Wind River

direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6