Re: [technology-pmc] JNoSQL Third party content CQs

+1
Definitely an appropriate streamlining.

Eric
December 7, 2017 at 3:15 PM
Greetings Technology PMC.

Action item below.

You may have noticed that a lot of CQs for Eclipse JNoSQL have been coming in. I'm pretty sure that we actually don't need most of them.

The diana-drivers repository contains code that provides drivers for various NoSQL databases. I believe that each of these NoSQL databases qualifies as a "works with" dependency.

The build creates drivers for each of these databases. A consumer will pick the one that matches the database that they intend to use and ignore all of the others.

I believe that we can reasonably assume that the consumer of these artifacts will understand that they are using the database that underlies the the driver and agree to the license for that database (and all of the dependencies that it requires) themselves.

That is, I believe that each of these databases can be categorized as a "works with" dependency per the Guidelines for the review of Third Party Dependencies.
  • Cassandra
  • Hazelcast
  • hbase
  • Infinispan
  • MongoDB
  • ArangoDB
  • Redis
  • Riak
  • OrientDB
  • CouchBase
  • ElasticSearch
If we agree, we will just need a CQ for each of these databases. We'll mark that CQ as "works with" and I will take care of the workflow.

We do not need CQs for the transitive dependencies of "works with" dependencies.

Note that this is not a work around. This is a perfectly reasonable interpretation of the Eclipse IP Policy.

There are also a handful of test dependencies. We can lump these all together into a single "works with" CQ.

javax.el:javax.el-api:jar:3.0.0:test
javax.enterprise:cdi-api:jar:2.0:test
javax.inject:javax.inject:jar:1:test
javax.interceptor:javax.interceptor-api:jar:1.2:test
junit:junit:jar:4.12:test
org.eclipse:yasson:jar:1.0:test
org.glassfish:javax.json:jar:1.1:test
org.hamcrest:hamcrest-all:jar:1.3:test
org.hamcrest:hamcrest-core:jar:1.3:test

Let me know if you have any questions, or signal your agreement by responding +1

Thanks,

Wayne
--
Wayne Beaton