Re: [technology-pmc] CodeMatch code snippet search engine considers moving to Eclipse Recommenders

Am 23.08.2011 08:29, schrieb Marcel Bruch:
> 1. Hosting all servers at Eclipse Foundation

Well, "all" sounds like many. My assumption was that you would run a
single virtual server.

> 2. Create a public sharing API, add support for multiple knowledge-bases/connectors (such as community, in-house etc.). Then, server doesn't have to be hosted at Eclipse.

Eclipse should still host a server. That would be useful for all
knowledge about usage patters of org.eclipse.* packages.

> Regarding data privacy/sharing, you say that it's a matter of trust and we (Code Recommenders) have to be very careful which data we use. But everyone can decide to contribute or not, and thus, there is no severe problem.

Yes. It should be an opt-in process and you should not submit code that
is confidential.

However, that last statement made we wonder. What if you pre-process the
code on the consumers machine already so that you only submit usage
patters to the remote collector? Is that possible? That would avoid
sending confidential source code across the wire as well as save on
processing resource on the server.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht