Wayne expressed his concerns that the data we would like to gather from the community (a) may contain private/sensitive information and (b) that the data is not hosted at Eclipse. I intended to use the word "sorrow" as a replacement to the word "concern" here. It should express that I think it is an important and very valid question that needs to be discussed.

Same holds for the second use of sorrow.

I'm sorry for the confusion - and thanks for your question.

On 20.08.2011, at 15:44, Mike Milinkovich wrote:

Marcel,

There are two places in your email where the word “sorrows” appears. Am I correct in assuming that you meant “servers”?

Mike Milinkovich
Office: +1.613.224.9461 x228
Mobile: +1.613.220.3223

From: technology-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:technology-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Marcel Bruch
Sent: August-20-11 8:50 AM
To: technology-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [technology-pmc] CodeMatch code snippet search engine considers moving to Eclipse Recommenders

(I hope this is the right list for this kind of question. If not, please direct me to the appropriate addresses. Thanks.)

Hi Technology PMC,

Doug Wightman contacted me yesterday. Their research group likes to move their code snippet search engine "CodeMatch" (http://languageinterfaces.com/) over to Eclipse. Mike Milinkovich suggested Doug that Code Recommenders may be a good place for this.

Personally, I like this project very much and I think it's a perfect fit for Eclipse Recommenders! Similar to other Code Recommenders projects, it relies on a community that shares knowledge (in this case code templates) with a community server. For details how snippets are shared, please check out the short screencast here: http://languageinterfaces.com/help

This brings up Wayne's concern again that our servers (and the data) are currently not hosted at Eclipse. Wayne, could you (or another PMC member) detail on which sorrows exist and what approach would be help to smooth them out?

I would like to offer all these services in a vendor-neutral way under the roof of the Eclipse Recommenders Project. But I'm not sure which path to take that is compatible with Eclipse.  So, my questions is: how can we offer services such as delivering recommendation models, code snippets, extended documentation, offer code search and stacktrace search etc. in a vendor-neutral way? I really would like to know how to do it "the right way". Thus, I'm thankful for all your comments.

The overall question is:
1. Can we offer these services as part of Eclipse(!) Code Recommenders project?
- or -
should we skip vendor-neutrality and let every subproject use it's own server and deliver its tools without any association to Eclipse?

If we could offer these tools under the Eclipse Recommenders / Technology project:
2. Is it a hard constraint (or even possible) to move all these servers and tools to a server maintained by the Eclipse Foundation?
- or -
would it be okay if (or even required that) every university / project has it's own server?
- or -
should we (Darmstadt University of Technology) offer project servers maybe hosted at Amazon cloud? In general would an Amazon cloud solution be acceptable?
- or -
any other solution I didn't consider yet?

It would be great to discuss Wayne's and the PMC's sorrows and to find a solution that helps us to offer these tools. I think vendor-neutrality is a big property we shouldn't dismiss. Do we need some agreements on which Data is collected and how it is shared? Whatever you think - it would be great to discuss your thoughts here. Do you have any concerns at all? It would also be great to hear if you don't have any concerns :)

Thanks a lot for your comments!
Marcel

P.S.:  Please find the conversation with Doug below.

Hi Marcel! Mike Milinkovich suggested that I contact Code Recommenders about an Eclipse plugin that I recently finished. CodeMatch is a code snippet search and insertion tool. Unlike Eclipse Templates, the code snippet repository is hosted online and it's easy to share snippets. There are also several other advantages: snippets are searchable and search queries can include parameters (e.g. you can search for "for 10" then press enter to create a loop that iterates ten times). Please check out the video (+website): http://languageinterfaces.com If you're interested, I'd love to see this work become part of your project, or otherwise associated with the foundation. Thanks for reading, Doug p.s. We're looking for users. If you like this work, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could share the link widely.

Hi Doug!

today I found the time to try your snippet search engine. It's a very neat tool and absolutely fits into the scope of Code Recommenders!  From my view, this looks like a very interesting and helpful tool - assuming that we can find enough users that create and share their code templates. But that's something we have figure out... This could nicely fit with another project that mines frequent code snippets.

What are your future plans with CodeMatch?

Is there any documentation on how it works (papers)? What's required on the server side (database, webservice)?

Best,
Marcel

Thanks Marcel!

No documentation yet (besides what is on the website), but we're
currently drafting a CHI paper. Server-side: PHP + MySQL. Ideally,
would optimize some of the PHP to C++.

Future plans are pretty loose. Would be great to work with you. How
would you want to proceed?

Doug

Thanks,
Marcel