Re: [technology-pmc] Asking for Approval of Jubula 1.0.0 Graduation/Release review

I have to say: A very interesting discussion with many valid points. Many of them I've discussed with other projects that I am mentoring, most of them were based on commercial products.

The key point here is the first impression that you leave on your download page. How can you explain to your existing customers that they paid money in the past for a code base that has <1.0 quality? How can you explain to your management/marketing that you need to downgrade your version number?

To me there are some hard requirements for finally removing the 'incubation' string from all downloads and release something with a version number >=1.0: The code must be IP clean (that's the legal aspect), it has to conform to the coding standards and to the code quality of Eclipse (code aspect), and there must be a hope that the team can turn the project into a lively open source project in the near future (community aspect). In that case the wording 'incubation' and the <1.0 version are just counterproductive for the future development of the project.

I am not sure that we need a third category in between 'incubation' and a 'mature' project status that allows projects to release IP clean high quality software with versions >=1.0, but I am very sure that we cannot explain to the end users and customers that this software cannot be 1.0 just because there are not enough external mails and questions on mailing lists and newsgroups. Customers and end users just wouldn't listen to our complicated explanations and would go on to search for alternatives. And I know of at least two other projects that will have the same problem within the Indigo time frame.

Thanks,
Markus