[technology-pmc] FW: Reasons why we should NOT archive the ECESIS project

FYI,

Wayne
--
Wayne Beaton
The Eclipse Foundation

Title: Content Organization of ModelWare Awareness Area

Contents

The content provided here is organized in 16 chapters. It is a subject of the EPL version 1.0. Below is a short description of the content of each chapter. Every chapter contains a number of lectures that cover the basic topics related to the chapter.

Chapter 1: Prerequisite Language Level

This chapter presents two languages required for understanding the content in the other chapters: the part of UML for creating class diagrams and Object Constraints Language (OCL). The presentation of the full UML 2.0 is given in Chapter 5.

Chapter 2: Concepts and Definitions. Historical Perspectives

This chapter introduces the basic concepts in MDD and how they evolved in the last decades.

Chapter 3: Context of Model Driven Development (MDD): Modelling, Integration

This chapter outlines the motivation for MDD and the basic problems tackled in MDD.

Chapter 4: Principles of MDD. The OMG Modelling Stack

This chapter presents the concepts of model, metamodel, and metametamodel and how they are employed in the OMG modelling stack.

Chapter 5: A Tour in OMG and other MDD Standards

This chapter presents the important standards in MDD. It covers OMG standards such as MOF, UML 2.0, XMI, etc. and also other standards developed outside OMG such as JMI.

Chapter 6: Process Models

This chapter presents some models of processes, e.g. the SPEM (Software Process Engineering Metamodel Specification).

Chapter 7: Model Executability

This chapter covers initiatives like Action Semantics for UML and Executable UML.

Chapter 8: Platform Models

This chapter gives examples of various platforms and their models (e.g. Corba Component Model - CCM).

Chapter 9: Business Models

This chapter presents a number of business models such as EDOC.

Chapter 10: Transformation Models

This chapter is devoted on model transformations. It gives information about various transformation languages and related standards such as QVT.

Chapter 11: MDD Case Studies and Success Stories

This chapter presents non-trivial examples of application of MDD techniques and real life cases where MDD has been successfuly applied.

Chapter 12: MDD Tools and Frameworks

This chapter gives an overview of the currently available tools in MDD (both commercial and open source).

Next two chapters presents two frameworks that exemplify MDD concepts: Eclipse Modeling Framework by IBM and Software Factories by Microsoft.

Chapter 13: MDD Framework Presentation 1: Eclipse Modeling Framework (EMF)

Chapter 14: MDD Framework Presentation 2: Software Factories

Chapter 15: Relations of MDD to other Technologies

This chapter positions MDD in a broader context and relates it to other technologies such as XML, Web Services, Semantic Web, etc.

Chapter 16: Theoretical Basis for MDD

This chapter presents the theoretical underpinnings of concepts like model, modelling, metamodelling, etc.