Re: [sw360-dev] Oldie but goldie: Component Identification

On Fr, 11. Jan 11:12, Kristan Johannes (INST-CSS/BSV-OS1) wrote:
> We just define another external id "purl" which stores the purl.

Is the purl unique? Or is it like a classic URL and there are multiple
representations of the same resource. Especially for docker, where the
non-deterministic build yields different hashes. Or also the case where the same
artifact is distributed over different tools (e.g. the zoo of tools for JS).

I think a release should at least have a list purls, and two releases are equal
if at least one of them matches. This also means that non-matching purls do not
imply that the artifacts are not equal.

In my opinion, if one knows coordinates and file-hashes of some artifact, one
can generate a list of identifying features. And  some of these features could
be encoded as a purl.

Best regards
Maximilian